Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Discovering What Works

Things are looking up since my last post! My artwork is starting to sell! Funny - it's the same style of art I did before that sat on a shelf by its sad old self.

So, what changed?

Me! I changed! I decided I was going to do whatever it takes to make it as an artist and get on with doing what I'm supposed to be doing - creating things that brighten others' days, inspire and encourage and nourish the soul just by looking at them! That's what I like to do and this is the way I do it. Other folks have their ways - through music and song, teaching, creating products that improve lives, fixing things that are broken, fixing people that are broken, performing medical miracles that save lives, being an awesome parent and home-maker, being a tireless supporter of one's family, etc. I can't list them all here because the list is as endless as individuals. Anyway, I decided it was time!

Once I made the decision, I couldn't just sit back and wait. I did (and still very much do) have to follow through with action. Quitting my day job was just one step to give me the time to do what I needed to do. I still have to DO those things!

 And one of the hardest things I had to do, am starting to do, is just put myself out there any way I can. That's why I started this blog. That's why I did the street fairs. That's why I'm trying to wrap my mind around how to use Facebook and Twitter even though I don't understand some of the terms they in the directions! These are the things I have to force myself to do - the creating end has always been fun and relatively easy.

So now I've got my Facebook page set up as an artist and my online store is well-stocked with over 70 items! I also joined some teams on Etsy so I would become part of the community and not just one lone shop-owner trying to make a go of it on their own. That has turned out to be an eye-opener. I've always just gone off on my own to do my own thing - never really became a part of a community of artists. I dunno - thought it would take up too much of my time that I could better spend creating artwork or writing. I found out it's actually a very good thing to "hang out" with other artists. We share ideas on promoting our shops, tips and techniques for making things, encourage and inspire each other. Isn't that what it's all about, anyway?

Alright, this has gotten a bit long - lotsa words and no pictures - enough to put you to sleep! So here's some new pics to brighten your day! Some of my Abstract Art from a series called "Patty-Cake". It celebrates sisters and friendship.








Don't forget to come visit me! Best Wishes,
Sheri

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SMacsPlaceToBe
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SMacsPlaceToBe


2 comments:

Sheryl Hastings said...

Good for you! If you put your mind to it and don't give up I know you can do this! Your artwork is awesome! It is scary to quit your day job and I'd really, really love to do that myself because trying to get a business going and working 40+ hours a week outside the home is exhausting and difficult.

Just don't give up. Always try new things and I really think that with your talent, you will go places! Oh yah...and I'm hoping to be right behind you!

Sheryl McClure-Pitler said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Sher! You are the first person to comment on my blog and it really gives me a boost to know someone heard me!

It is hard to do while working full time, but it's definitely better than not doing anything at all! Reading your blog, I think you're doing an amazing job of balancing it all and keeping that positive energy flowing.

By the way, I think Howard (the owl you raised) is very handsome. I like owls too - have several (figurines)looking down on me right now from a shelf above my computer.

Best wishes!
Sheri